Our History

Directions on using the slideshow.

  • Please select a picture and click on the image.
  • This will prompt the slideshow to open.
  • You will then be able to browse the pictures by clicking on the small arrows.
  • To close slideshow just click on small X on top right of slideshow image.

Historical collection itemsStudents enjoy playing on the school equipment in 19601960 class photo of Joanna CruickshankPlay on StageBike Riding to SchoolExcursion to Captain Cooks Fountain 70'sAward from the rostrum late 60s or early 70sStudents crossing Brigalow St as they walk to school – 1960sLyneham Primary School in the early 70sFront of Lyneham Primary, 80s or 90sFront of Lyneham Primary, 20091959 1J Mrs James' class1961 3F Mr Ferguson's class1962 4A Mr Harvie's class1963 5A Mr Fowler's class1963 5B Mr Ferguson's class1964 6A Mr Milson's class1964 boys softball team1964 School BandRecorder band marching, late 60sSchool Band, early 90sSchool ImmunisationSwimming DayFront of the School with ChildrenAn early photograph of the school – 1959The school building process nears completion – 1958Lyneham Primary School students in their classroom – 1960sLyneham Primary School in the snow – 1960sThe school carpark underwater – 1970s

Lyneham Primary est. 1959

1960's and 1970's!

  • Once at Lyneham Primary there were once four Houses – Kurnai (yellow), Walgala (red), Pajong (blue) and… Kambera (green). Mr Keith Brew, the first Sports Master, suggested the House names as he was interested in local Aboriginal history.
  • The school badge was designed in 1959 by Mr John Yarra, a parent of one of the students at that time. It incorporates the symbols of the lamp and the open books, which stand for the wisdom and enlightenment attained through learning. The badge also features; LEARN – PROGRESS - SERVE
  • Pupil enrolments peaked in at 800 in 1968 and 1969 but have now dropped to approximately half that number.
  • In 1969, most of the school burnt down. It took over 4 hours for the fire engines to stop the fire. In 1979 a major fire also occurred in the school's canteen with smoke damage being seen in the hall and corridors.
  • Fees at Lyneham Preschool in 1977 included; 30 cents for one child, 50 cents for two children and 60 cents for three or more children.
  • In 1976, a competition was held to name the school's newsletter. The $3.00 prize went to Caroline Floyd who was a member of Year 6. Many of the pupil's entries were disqualified because they had not spelt L-Y-N-E-H-A-M correctly.
  • In May 1976, the Kindergarten teachers were lobbying for the school to purchase at least one colour TV so that Kindergarten could watch Play School in colour!
  • In 1976 flavoured chips increased in price to 16 cents per packet.
  • In July 1976, Open Day was in fact only half an hour long!
  • In July 1977, any child dropping litter around the school was fined 2 cents.
  • In the 1970's the school's library won a major national library prize of $200.00
  • In 1959, a can of dog food cost 15 cents, a packet of Weet-Bix cost 29 cents and a tube of toothpaste cost 32 cents.
  • In 1967, one of the Year 6 classes had 48 pupils in it.
  • In 1963, Pam Genge, Fay McKnight and Neil Cotterill (all in Year 6) were chosen to represent the school at the 'closing of the valves ceremony' at the Lake Burley Griffin Dam.
  • In July 1950, Prime Minister Menzies proposed a free milk scheme. Commonwealth and State health ministers met in Canberra and it was decided the Commonwealth Department of Health would operate the scheme with State authorities acting as agents. The taste of the free school milk remains vividly in the memory. The milk was rarely refrigerated and if you forgot to shake the bottle before opening you got a mouthful of warm, lumpy cream. At Lyneham Primary, the boys carried the full crates outside and the girls carried the empty crates inside.
  • In 1966 the boys in Year 6 learned to weave baskets when the girls were having sewing lessons in the sewing room.
  • Discipline at school…In 1975, the Parent Handbook stated

"If it is necessary to punish a child, he is always asked prior to this whether he understands the rules, and the reasons for them, and children are often given quite a number of warnings before any punishment is given. Very rarely is corporal punishment used, and it is only ever used after a thorough investigation into the case and only when misbehavior recurs. The only two things generally punished in this way are fighting and throwing stones. When corporal punishment is administered, this is carried out by either the principal or assistant principals".

  • In 1966, Dianne Nicholls and Terri Mills were known as "tea girls". Every recess, they made pots of fresh hot tea, put out biscuits and washed up afterwards for the teachers.